December 4th- Two drabbles by Calliatra

Grinch

It took us a couple of years, but we’ve finally settled on a compromise. We’ll do a moderate amount of Christmas. One present each, no more than two bundles of pine branches for decoration, and absolutely no Christmas songs before December 20. We agreed.

But I still can’t believe he thinks I won’t notice him smuggling an entire Christmas tree into the house.

Starsky-tree

Santa

The thing you’ve gotta understand is, Hutch gets off on being contrary. He thinks there’s always gotta be something wrong with the world, and if you don’t agree, you just ain’t smart enough or deep enough or whatever to see it. And he likes feeling smart.

So I let him. I make sure he gets to grumble his way from October right through December. That way by the time Christmas actually comes around, he’ll be all grumbled-out and happy to let me drag him into celebrating properly.

Hutch-treeHutch likes to talk big about compromises, but I prefer a win-win.

StarskyHutchTree

This entry was posted in fic, gen. Bookmark the permalink.

45 Responses to December 4th- Two drabbles by Calliatra

1. provencepuss says:

you got their voices perfectly. I love the thought of Starsky sneaking a whole tree into the house (a huge one, I hope). Favourite lines:
    ” I make sure he gets to grumble his way from October right through December. That way by the time Christmas actually comes around, he’ll be all grumbled-out and happy to let me drag him into celebrating properly.”

“And Starsky’s cheating. Well, of course he’s cheating, it’s not like that’s a surprise. He’s already got at least half a dozen presents stashed away, and he keeps ‘accidentally’ leaving the radio tuned to ridiculously holiday-happy stations.”

seems to me that Starsky ‘won-won’

2. JudithG41 says:

Loved this. So them and the thought of Starsky smuggling in a tree made me laugh . Well done.

3. wanda horvath says:

that is so starsky. cute story

4. Duluth says:

I love the thought of Starsky waiting out two months of grumbling because he just knows Hutch will be merry by Christmas. 😀

5. Samudee (Sam KW) says:

Grinch and Santa! :DDDDD
    Perfect!
    smuggling an entire Christmas tree! Sounds sooooo like Starsky! :DDDDD — And Hutch puts up with him, no matter what!

6. marianrose says:

Always thinking of each other 😉 I love how they fit together so well, the yin-yang thing. Thanks for sharing this fun story.

• Calliatra says:

Yeah, the way Starsky and Hutch complement each other perfectly (whether they realize it or not) is one of my favorite things!
      You’re welcome, and thank you for commenting!

7. pat says:

Lovely, really great mental images (along with your? Flamingo’s? The Pic Elves? real ones), and as everyone above has said, perfect ‘voices’. Thanks for this sweet early Christmas gift.

8. Spencer5460 says:

By the time Christmas comes around, he’ll be all grumbled out. That’s logic “Starsky style.” 😉

9. myhnabird says:

Fave part – “the house”. Not “his” house, or “my” house. I love me some happily ever after….

10. Ellen says:

I’m not being very original I’m afraid, but just like so many others have mentioned, I love the image of Starsky smuggling a whole tree. LOL! Thanks for making me smile!

• Calliatra says:

Heh, don’t worry about it, I love getting this kind of “statistical” overview of what worked particularly well. ^^ Thank you!

11. Kat says:

These are adorable. Definitely ‘them’. Nice work.

12. Bee says:

Lovely and smart!!!
    Very well done!!!
    ;D

13. Dianne says:

Lovely! Spot on with the voices.

14. Dawnebeth says:

Great voices–yes, Hutch does like to be contrary. And love that he thinks Starsky agreed–and will abide by the holiday compromise they’d made. haha

15. wightfaerie says:

So them. Perfect voices. Very nicely done.

16. Calliatra says:

Oh, thanks so much for adding those lovely pictures, Elves, they really set the mood beautifully! <3

17. Elaine says:

Thanks for giving me a smile! I love. Starsky sneaking the tree in. I have a hard time writing drabbles. You make the Drabble flow!

• Calliatra says:

Thanks! That’s great to hear, because honestly, drabbles aren’t easy for me either – these here took me about two weeks of frustrated tweaking – but I love the format and I’m determined to practice!

18. susan (taass64) says:

Love how Starsky knows just how to plan ahead and start working on Hutch in October to get what he wants for Christmas! Nice, as Marion said, yin-yang thing going on. Perfect voices!

19. Ursula Angstrom says:

I enjoyed your drabbles, Calliatra. The pics were great too. Starsky’s analysis of why Hutch does not like Christmas is right on target. I have come to share the same opinions as Hutch as I’ve grown older. But when I was very young I enjoyed the holiday as much as Starsky does. You showcased the contrast between them and the love that resonates between them even if they bicker. I like how you emphasized that it was a compromise. That’s the best screen cap I’ve seen of Starsky and the tree. Thanks! I’m printing that one out.

Ursula Angstrom

Ursula

• Calliatra says:

Thank you! I can’t take credit for the pictures, though; that was the Elves, not me. 😉
      I have to admit, I feel more like Hutch than Starsky where Christmas is concerned, too – but that makes a little holiday joy all the more fun!

20. tsilvy says:

Very heartwarming and perfectly in character! Thank you! 😀

21. Ly888ly888 says:

Great voices, perfect banter. Loved “Hutch gets off on being contrary.” and the so-Starsky logic of wearing him down. Really enjoyed this, thanks for posting, Calliatra!

22. Crazy Kater says:

Your voices are spot on. I could picture them while reading this. Great job. 😀

23. ksstarfire says:

I enjoyed this tremendously! Everything was great about it. Thank you!

Sorry for the late posting. I finally got some days off in a row and get to run through all the days I missed.

• Calliatra says:

Don’t worry about it! I just did the same thing with a whole bunch of other Advent Calendar entries. ^^

And thank you for your very kind comment!