December 8th- What’s It All About by TSiLvY

Summary: Sometimes it’s just more evident than others. Drabble.

Christmas_Ornaments_Border_by_mickeyd600

He’ll keep asking what’s this euphoric sentimentalism all about. I have an answer, but I can’t tell him.

It’s him in front of me, hobbling slightly, using his crutch to straighten the Christmas Star on a tree he didn’t even want. It’s that I won’t spend these holidays missing him. It’s his guitar waiting, anticipating the evening.

My gift for him was a horrible car; his gift for me was holding on, not letting that canyon draw us apart. There’s no way I could ever even that up.

He stares and knows what I’m thinking. His smile is my Christmas.

survivalend

This entry was posted in fic, gen. Bookmark the permalink.

40 Responses to December 8th- What’s It All About by TSiLvY

1. JudithG41 says:

Beautiful. X

2. ksstarfire says:

Awesome!! PERFECT!

3. Dawnebeth says:

Very nice ending for Survival–love Hutch wobbling on his crutch straightening the star on a tree he didn’t even want.

4. Calliatra says:

Awwww! This is so full of love and caring, what a wonderful way to start the day. ♥

5. Bee says:

Really beautiful ending scene!!!
    Very well done!!!
    ;D

6. Samudee (Sam) says:

Really sweet thoughts showing Starsky’s love!

• tsilvy says:

Well, I think Starsky got pretty scared then, so that most of his thoughts for some time would tend to go back to the canyon and how lucky he had been. Thank you!

7. Duluth says:

I also loved the part with Hutch using his crutch to straighten the star. A really fun image!

8. marianrose says:

Thank you for this heartfelt story. I do love it.

9. Spencer5460 says:

Every line of this is perfect. ” . . using his crutch to straighten the Christmas Star on a tree he didn’t even want.” “His smile is my Christmas.” Yeah, more than anything that’s what Christmas is all about. Sharing love. I must be falling prey to “euphoric sentimentalism” myself, because I’m tearing up.

• tsilvy says:

Thank you so much! Starsky’s heart is so full of love I think it would just overflow on Christmas, after he’s been so close to losing Hutch. And well, I have a feeling this kind of “euphoric sentimentalism” isn’t something Hutch would really object to. 😉

10. pat says:

I’m with Spencer, “His smile is my Christmas” got to me. Drabbles are absolutely wonderful when they’re this perfect. Thank you!

• tsilvy says:

Your comment flatters me so much! I think Hutch’s smile is one of the most beautiful things ever, and after the fear there’s nothing else Starsky would need. He can be sentimental, but he knows what to be sentimental about. 🙂

11. myhnabird says:

What a lovely prezzie to wake up to! Thank you for this perfect little drabble.

12. Kat says:

When I read a drabble like this I wonder how people can say you can’t tell a story in 100 words. This is a full story, and it’s great!

• tsilvy says:

Oh, I love drabbles, but they’re difficult at times to get right. I’m glad you liked mine this much! Thank you! 😀

13. Lisa C says:

So perfect! Thank you 🙂

14. Lisa C says:

So perfect, thank you 😉

15. susan (taass64) says:

Wow! That is stunning! Every word, every line, just so beautiful. That 100 words speaks a million about their love.

16. wightfaerie says:

Aww, lovely. So sweet. Thank you.

17. Arlene says:

Oh – this is so very good! Love the description of the gifts: Starsky giving him the horrible car, Hutch holding on in the canyon – and the best Christmas gift for Starsky – Hutch’s smile! What a wonderful story gift you have written. Love it!!

18. Ursula Angstrom says:

My heart melted when you wrote: his gift to me was hanging on. And: His smile is my Christmas.

The very fact that the smile was enough thanks in return for giving Hutch a car just like the one he lost (only without the annoying squeaks and creeks, I’m sure.)

You made us feel how Starsky is so overwhelmed and grateful that Hutch survived with just a few poetically chosen and combined words.

This was excellent, TSiLvY.

Ursula

• tsilvy says:

Oh, I’m so glad you liked it! And yes, definitely, ‘overwhelmed’ is the word for how Starsky would be feeling and what I’ve been trying to express. I’m happy I could manage to do that! Thank you a lot for your appreciation.

TSiLvY

19. Ly888ly888 says:

100 perfect words, so beautiful, so touching. Just kept re-reading it. Using the crutch to straighten the star reminded me of a memory of someone dear to me that’s gone now. Brought tears to my eyes.

• tsilvy says:

I have to thank you for this comment. It’s really beautiful to know that I may have managed to elicit some of the same emotion I felt when writing it. I’m sorry for your loved one, but happy to have brought this memory to you. 🙂

20. ksstarfire says:

Again, being late to post, all I can say is DITTO X a million! Loved this. REALLY loved this. Thank you for your gift!

Sorry for the late posting. I finally got some days off in a row and get to run through all the days I missed.

• tsilvy says:

Thank you SO much! I’m glad this little work about my beloved guys ended up touching someone, it’s the best feedback of all.

And absolutely don’t worry about being late! I have a ton things to do as well and it’s pretty hard to catch up with everything. I’m only happy I happened to catch your comment, so I could thank you for your kindness. Take care! 😀